Pop Culture and Politics Blogzine

mangologo

Follow me through many sleepless nights. . .

Monday, February 28, 2005

WildStyle: Come On! Give Those Poor Celebrities a Break

The Oscars, always a great event to find out exactly what movie was the best of the year. Unfortunately I believe this to be based on less of a great performance many times to who is all the buzz about. But the real interest at the Oscars is what people are wearing. While all those fancy dresses are great, I actually prefer what people call the 'Worst Dressed' category. I love to see what celeb is willing to go out there and be different. A lot of what people call mistakes sometimes are purposeful I think, like that flashback from the 70's tux Johnny Depp was wearing. I think that was great. Robin Williams came out looking like Bono meets Patch Adams. But that's okay. I think once you're a household name, you have the right to wear whatever the hell you want to. I think it's better to shoot for the worst dressed category than the best dressed. I mean at least in the worst dressed people don't take you so seriously. Poor Meg Ryan, they had the nerve to make fun of her. I LOVE HER! She's so cute and refreshing. Every time I see "You've Got Mail" I WISH I was like that. Of course that is just a character but I love those expressions :) She seems like she'd be nice in real life whereas, I am not nice in real live!

I've never been around the Oscar crowd but I've been around the Emmy crowd and it's totally cool. I was a star struck young adult then so please excuse me. Plus, when one first moves to California and finds that it's perfectly normal to meet Sting in a coffee shop (that was my best buddy Sergio), it is something of an awesome experience. I never met Tom Hanks who I am still waiting to get divorced because I AM his true love, but that is a 10-year love story that is still waiting on a romantic comedy ending. I have met so many famous people since I've been to California. Most of them in one sitting! I was sitting next to a rap star and talking to him for most of a basketball game and I didn't even know who he was. My cousin and I got to meet all sorts of people like Duane Martin, Cedric the Entertainer, Dr. Dre, and many more people. But oh right, the Emmys. I was over with the crowd and Donald Faison (Clueless, NBC's Scrubs) ran over and gave all of us a hug. It's cool to get caught up in that stuff sometimes but in my older age (26 - 16 days until the ripe old age of 27) I only enjoy it in passing. Though my preoccupation with Sara Jessica Parker's fashion sense and television lifestyle will always be my idea of Heaven on Earth.

Oh, and congrats on Jamie Foxx's Oscar! He deserved that one! I saw Ray and I absolutely loved it. But that's the way it goes. If you want to win an Oscar, star in a movie that is about a famous person who struggled with sex and drugs and learns a great lesson at the end. If you want to win Best supporting actress/actor, star in a film that is just one devastation after another! Unfortunately it doesn't make you a star when you struggle with drugs and sex in the world I live in!

Links:
2005 Superficial Oscar Coverage by People Magazine*

*Geez, someone tell People magazine that these aren't real people LOL!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home