Pop Culture and Politics Blogzine

mangologo

Follow me through many sleepless nights. . .

Saturday, March 19, 2005

InTelevision: Eye of the Badger

Wouldn't it be funny if the song was really called "Eye of the Badger"? Badgers are actually pretty ferocious.

Soundtrack : Rocky III (1982)
Risin' up, back on the street
Took my time, took my chances
Went the distance
Now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive

So many times, it happened too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

* It's the eye of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge
Of our rival
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night
And his fortune must always be
Eye of the tiger

Face to face, out in the heat
Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry
They stack the odds
Still we take to the street
Fot the kill with the skill to survive
(Repeat *)

Risin' up straight to the top
Had the guts, got the glory
Went the distance
Now I'm not gonna stop
Just a man and his will to survive
(Repeat *)

The eye of the tiger
(4 times till fade)


The Rocky movies are something else. I mean, as far as a story goes, these have the ultimate storylines: Hero struggling to make it against the odds, meets near death opposition, becomes victorious.

The AMC channel has been playing the Rocky movies for the past month and these movies are great. I totally took these movies for granted in the 80's (not that I was aware of myself during most of the 80's). I mean 80's movies have everything. They are usually great quirky fun or like Rocky, Indiana Jones, and Rambo, a torment that we just love. These are great movies about men that have some quirks we find interesting but there is this great underlying struggle.

I love the lyrics to "Eye of the Tiger". That song fits any struggle. I am going to make it my motto for my writing career. Fight for something. . .never give up! I noticed that the different movies seem to have different lyrics etc. Perhaps I am wrong. I am going off of the movies but I did no real research.

So Mango-Chan readers, what's your favorite Rocky movie?

Is it Rocky, where the underdog slugger, Italian Stallion, is up against a fast moving Ali style Apollo Creed? Here he meets the lovely ADRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it Rocky II, where the Italian Stallion, having become victorious over Apollo, goes after a re-match? Don't forget his marital struggles at the time.

Is it Rocky III, where Apollo teaches the Italian Slugger how to really box 'black' style LOL?

Is it Rocky IV, where, in a bout for revenge on his new buddy Apollo's killer, Rocky fights a Russian powerhouse that is sure to destroy him? (You know it appeared that the Russian fighter was taking steroids but that never actually came out in the story, except when hitting Rocky's face. . . can anyone say plot holes?)

Or is it Rocky V, in which the Itallian Stallion goes up against a street fighter, even though Rocky is after his prime?

I must say I always loved Rocky IV. I was devestated when Apollo died, just as Rocky was. This is a great piece of screenwriting! Great story. Through all 5 Rocky's we are with Rocky. He is in all of this struggle and we are tormented and loving every bit of it. I also love Rocky III. I almost like that one better because I love the brotherhood Apollo and Rocky form in an effort to help him beat the very angry Mr. T.

What's your favorite?

(Sorry guys for the literary take on things. I have been knee deep in a great book by James Scott Bell called "Plot and Structure." If you want to write a novel, try it. It's amusing and very practical)

Urusai!! Mango-Chan!!

4 Comments:

  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Chequelin said…

    I have to say my favorite one is Rocky, seeing him coming up, finding his love and seeing him struggle through all the odds against him.

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger sin_fuegos said…

    I don't think I've ever seen I or II all the way through, in fact, I think I once watched a "marathon" and ended up watching the first half of I and the last half of II and thought it was all one movie.

    I liked III when I saw it...I was a kid, it was a boxing movie...what's not to like? And of course it had Mr. T...SUCKA

    IV was classic cold war propaganda neatly packaged in an entertaining movie...again, what's not to like?

    I never saw V, it just looked like they had gone to the well one too many times (IV was probably too many if but it was saved by beating up the commies).

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger Starfighter Girl said…

    LOL, I can't see myself sitting down to watch 5. I haven't caught it on TV though. Supposed to be that Rocky takes a kid under his wing and then the kid tries to fight him etc.

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger rachaelmh18 said…

    Ooo, it's a good book? I'm always up for new writing tips.

    (Found you on BE, thanks for the blogmark.)

    news & views fr philly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home